Monday, May 12, 2008

History

Back in '05 i was plain broke and unemployed and trying to figure out a way to go back home to Mexico City to see my dad who at the time was 79 and not doing very well ...

My friend Todd Simmons founder of Wolverine Farm Publishing
suggested: "why don't you organize a bike race ? a fixed gear race... " and since there were no fixed gear or single-speed only races in town and i knew quite a bunch of Onegearheads it seemed like my best option at trying to raise funds for my trip.

I then went to another friend, Jason Shelman local single-speed/fixed guru whose knowledge of the roads in the area i needed to come up with a good course and map; he agreed to help out.

A third friend, Adam Gerry, designed the poster. He also got some T-shirts made so i could sell them "for your ticket to get back" he said.

The race was on.

I had no idea what to expect, but things turned out just fine and i hopped on a south bound bus.

I will forever be grateful to the 20 or so riders that showed up that morning and actually paid way more than the registration fee to get me on my way...

That trip to where i grew up was the last time i saw, talked to, listen to and touched my father.

A year later,right around the time of the second race in May '06 he became one with the earth.

The One Speed Open will always remain a benefit race, a fundraiser for good causes to celebrate the power of bicycles and good people.

Thank you.

-Rafael.

No comments: